Generally, women who exercise are spending most of their gym time on cardiovascular exercises, instead of using resistance that challenges their bodies.
- Studies show that women who strength train 2-3 times per week for 2 months will gain almost 1 kilo of muscle and will lose 1.6 kilos of fat. As your lean muscle increases so does your resting metabolism, therefore you burn more calories during the day.
- Women, unlike men, don’t gain size from strength training, because compared to men, women have 10-30 times less hormones that cause muscle hypertrophy. Women will develop muscle tone and definition.
- Weight training for women can help prevent osteoporosis. It can increase spinal bone mineral density by 135 points in 6 months!
- Strength training improves athletic ability. Whatever sport you play, it improves overall performance as well as decrease the risk of injury.
- Increased strength will make women far less dependent upon others for assistance in everyday living. Things such as lifting kids, doing the groceries or hanging the laundry, will no longer push them to the max! Even moderate weight training can increase women’s strength at the same rate as men.
- Strength training builds stronger muscles and builds stronger connective tissues. It also increases joint stability, which helps prevent injury.
- Weight training can improve cardiovascular health by lowering LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and increasing HDL (“good”) cholesterol. It also lowers blood pressure.
- Studies have also shown that resistance training can improve the way the body processes sugar, which may reduce the risk of diabetes. It can also increase glucose utilisation in the body by 23% in 4 months.
- Weight training and improved strength is possible at any age. Women in their 70’s and 80’s can build significant strength through weight training.
- Studies have found that strength training reduced clinical depression symptoms more successfully than standard counseling did. Women who strength train are feeling more confident as a result of their program.
Women who slowly gain more muscle will change their body composition and shape, and will have more lean body mass and less fat.
Now you’ve read this post, take out June Quiz on the topic and you could win a free massage.